D. Damian Panetta
837 Carolina Street · San Francisco, CA 94107 • 917.399.4048
PRODUCER · DIRECTOR • CONTENT MANAGER • POST SUPERVISOR
Hybrid multitasking leader with experience spanning development, production and post-production. Proven skills bringing artful perspectives and workflow efficiencies to storytelling for documentaries, reality shows, lifestyle programming and digital content. Extensive field and studio production. Experience directing high-profile network talent. Cable network, local station and Internet site management. Tech savvy. High aesthetic values.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Producing · Directing • Writing •Development · Post-Production · Camera • Art Direction · Digital Content
MSNBC Films, NY, NY · Oct. 2016 - Feb. 2017 full-time freelance.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - Returned to the same job as MSNBC Films (below) to assist in re-branding and new slate of original shows.
NBC – PEACOCK PRODUCTIONS, New York, NY · 2015-2016 (six-month freelance position)
POST-PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR – Supervised edit staffing and project workflow from field shoots to final deliverables, managing tight concurrent show deadlines for NBC and outside clients. Provided support for Emmy Award-winning documentaries, lifestyle shows, reality programs, and topical specials for broadcast, cable, syndication and digital platforms. Ensured development and delivery of quality graphics packages, title animations, special effects, music and narration.
• Rescued client deadlines on multiple projects during critical time of high-volume production for NBC, MSNBC and outside clients such as Discovery Networks, Bravo, A&E, National Geographic and the History Channel.
• Overcame significant deadline challenges, including turning around breaking news documentaries on 4-5 day accelerated “crash” production schedules.
MSNBC Films, New York, New York · 2009-2015
Documentary films, entertainment and longform programming.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - Ensured skillful and innovative management of production, post-production, graphics development, branding and final deliverables for MSNBC’s award-winning documentaries. Participated in varying stages of pitching, writing, production and post-production for top-rated shows such as LOCKUP, CAUGHT ON CAMERA, SEX SLAVES and more. Art directed graphic concepts, animations and title graphics. Directed talent wraps, in the field and in the studio, with NBC personalities such as Lester Holt, Contessa Brewer and Rachael Maddow. Supervised original music composition. Provided story notes and content direction at rough-cut screenings. Supervised demanding technical requirements and quality control. Helped develop documentary style guide. Conceived and produced full episodes of Caught On Camera. Produced, shot and edited content for digital platforms.
• Created a hybrid position combining post production with producing, directing and art direction.
• Leveraged deep expertise in producing, editing, music supervision and graphics development.
• Convinced MSNBC management to launch an in-house edit, art and graphics workstation for digital platform work.
• Streamlined production workflow by designing a database that tracked all elements of production and deliverables.
• Mentored production assistants and interns.
PBS, Mountain Lakes, New York · 2008-2009
“FORGOTTEN WAR” – feature documentary distributed to over 200 PBS stations nationwide.
Producer / Director / Editor / DP / Art Director
Recruited to execute creative direction and strategic leadership for a PBS historical documentary about the French and Indian War. Managed historical research and archival image collection. Supervised story development and script writing. Team leader for extensive location filming. Directed camera crews, actors, large-scale battle reenactments and scenes of Colonial and Native American lifestyles. Conducted interviews with leading scholars, historians and authors. Launched documentary website.
• Produced a compelling documentary that achieved distribution to over 200 PBS stations nationwide.
• Rose to the challenge of producing high-quality national programming with a limited budget and small staff.
• Shot and conducted interviews that provided unique insights from leading scholars and authors.
• Gave the documentary a unique look by commissioning and directing innovative illustrations and animations.
• Created online website and additional digital content to drive viewer engagement and exposure.
PLUM TV, New York, New York · 2005-2008
A network of television stations serving luxury lifestyle resorts, including Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Sun Valley, Miami Beach, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and The Hamptons.
Director of Shared Content
Spearheaded development of national and network-wide programming featuring island and mountain lifestyles. Managed content development and aggregation into themed shows and strands shared across all stations. Created shows targeting PLUM’s high profile, high-income, luxury brand demographic. Developed high-impact, short-form content and live morning talk shows featuring each resort’s unique lifestyles, art, culture, food, events, festivals, local personalities and visiting celebrities. Initiated and supervised PLUM VOD programming with Comcast On Demand, expanding viewership to 20 million homes. Helped launch Internet sites for each station, developing digital content.
• Took a pioneering role in building a new start-up in luxury lifestyle television, providing groundbreaking new concepts in hyper-local content featuring short-form video, native advertising and live morning shows.
• Negotiated the complexities of bringing diverse stations, crews and communities together as a network.
• Helped Plum TV win 3 Emmy Awards for local lifestyle programming.
• Executed video on demand (VOD) contract with Comcast Cable, reaching over 20 million households.
• On assignment, oversaw launch of new station in Sun Valley, managing programming, production and sales.
NEXT MILLENNIUM PRODUCTIONS - Producer / Director / Director of Photography - 3 years
Produced and directed many live webcasts and managed client relations for publishers, banks, healthcare and financial firms. Oversaw direction, production and photography for cable and corporate television clients, including reality shows and webisodes such as DOGGIE MOMS for WNYC and DOG PARK for Animal Planet. Producer and DP on corporate marketing projects for Time Warner, A&E, Club Monaco and Armani.
THE TRAVEL CHANNEL - Senior Producer, 4 years
Started as a travel writer/producer during the launch of the network. After strong leadership and successful launch, became senior producer, hiring staff, developing and producing many original shows in the field and in the studio. Sent crews all over the world to cover lifestyles, cultures, events, adventures and unique personalities. Produced live travel news, a game show, a comedy show and travel shopping shows. Managed network budget, staff, editors, writers and freelancers. Supervised acquisitions, co-productions, on-air scheduling and network promos.
COLORADO MAGAZINE / COLORADO BUSINESS MAGAZINE - Associate Editor • Managed story development and assignments, layout and photography for lifestyle, travel, and business magazines. Feature writer.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, Metropolitan State University – Denver, Colorado
SKILLS: Camera Operator, Avid Media Composer · Final Cut Pro · Adobe: Premiere, Photoshop and Lightroom